How to Be a Mentor to a Kid in Need
Champions for Kids shares some ways that will get you started in being a great mentor for kids.
- Slow down – Take time to get to know them... When you take time to get to know kids they are more willing to talk to you about real issues in their lives.
- Listen – Listen more than you talk. By asking thoughtful questions and then listening, kids will realize you truly care about their thoughts and feelings...
- Consistency – Be consistent. Kids need to know they can count on you to do what you say you will do and be there when you say you will be.
- Praise – Praise kids for a job well done, or for the times they open up to you. Kids need to feel that sense of accomplishment, and a little praise goes a long way..
- Partner – Do everything you can to partner with a parent in mentoring their child. It takes a team...
YOU could be the difference one kid needs!
Get involved with your local schools and community to see what programs they have in place, and how you can be a great mentor for the kids in your community.
For more information on how to become a mentor, click here.